Monday, December 12, 2011

Something About A Book

It surprises me how books still have the power to ignite great emotion. And I don't mean just from the stories they weave.

The doorbell rang on Saturday, it was our mailman, with a package. My 17-year-old came running down the stairs gleefully yelling, "It's my books. It's gotta be my books!" And indeed, it was. Now the fact that a week and a half before Christmas he ordered two books off of Amazon without my consent, does not thrill me. But knowing that it was a book, and not a video game or another electronic gadget, secretly made my heart swell.

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
was my son's Christmas gift to himself.

I come from a long line of readers, so part of me is super excited that I grew a couple of my own. Even in this world of so many electronic forms of communication, so many ways to get information, my kids love going to the library and checking out actual books. And as Nancy Drew long ago did for me, when you find a series of books that draw you in and take hold of your heart and imagination, you not only want to read them, you want to own them. With all the other available distractions out there, there is still something about a book that is good for the soul. Kind of like an old friend that you can pull off the shelf, settle down with, and lose track of time.

Beautiful words, well painted stories, and printed on actual paper, now that's a combo that will always draw me in!

How about you? What is your favorite book or series?

Paper is powerful.

Here is a link to the history of book publishing courtesy of  Brainpickings.

No comments:

Post a Comment