Monday, August 15, 2011

I'm A Paper Lover, Are you?

   Terri's thoughts on paper.



          
Photos were taken at a Play With Paper event at Gilda's Club earlier this year.

As a kid I spent many hours "practicing" my handwriting and making thank you notes for my mom and dad's friends. We had a cabin up north, on a river, in the woods. We spent almost every weekend of my growing up years there. It was remote and a bit isolated.  There were no "neighbors" to hang out with, most of the time I had my little sisters and my own creative mind to play with.

Crafting was a natural thing to do there. Playing with paper, especially the really special paper that came in a "pad" of colors, was part of the weekend entertainment. I made thank you notes for every cocktail party, dinner get together, or day at the beach my family was invited to.

The paper I used was so special to me that I kept it in the linen closet, tucked away under the sheets so no one else could find it. I was afraid that if I left it out, my little sisters would get their hands on it and "waste" it.

Imagine my excitement  nearly 15 years later when I got my first job in paper and walked into the sample department.

All that paper. All those colors and textures. I was definitely in paper heaven.

And truthfully, I still am.

I continue to love paper. I love the way it feels and the "thunk" it makes, the sound of scissors attacking it, the smell of markers decorating it. I love playing with paper and getting my hands on it. Typing on a keyboard, drawing on a monitor, reading on a screen just don't do it for me.

I have been lucky to have seen so many cool pieces designed on my papers over the years, to have been a part of the process of creating with paper.

As a kid I used to be afraid to put my pen to paper, for fear I would mess up and waste that beautiful paper. Working at a paper company, I've totally gotten over that. It helps me to know that using paper actually helps grow forests, which leads to more paper.

Paper is ... so many things to so many people. One thing I hope it never becomes, is extinct.

Help keep paper in the mix, via identities, notecards, folders, brochures, direct mail, in whatever way possible, "think paper" as a component of your next project.

And hey, if you need any crafting ideas....I've still got a few I can pull out and dust off from my younger days.

No comments:

Post a Comment